What are the effects of chlorine on our hair and skin?
Chlorine is used in pools to protect us from waterborne illnesses and various skin infections. While it is overall a good thing to have in pools, it does have its drawbacks. Your hair needs its natural oils to remain smooth and healthy. Chlorine can remove these natural oils from your hair and skin, leaving them feeling dry and rough. It can also cause a chemical reaction in your hair, making your color dull and “green tinted”. Don’t worry though, because there are ways to protect your hair from chlorine and to repair damage.
How to prevent your hair from being damaged by pool water..
- Wear a swim cap or clip your hair up to keep it dry.
- If you do get your hair wet, rinse your hair right after swimming.
- Use a detangling spray on your hair before brushing.
- Comb your hair gently with a wide tooth comb when it’s wet/damp.
How to repair chlorine damage..
- Wash your hair with a Detox Shampoo. Kevin Murphy MAXI.WASH is a pro Do blow dry bar favorite and gentle enough to use on a regular basis. This detox shampoo removes build-up of unwanted products and chemicals from the hair with a soothing blend of essential oils that brightens the hair while purifying and balancing the scalp.
2. Use a Chlorine Remover. If your hair has already shown the signs of chlorine damage Malibu Swimmers is a treatment you can use at home or add on to your next blowout service. Simply add product to your shampoo to remove all the hair-harsh elements from pool, spa or ocean water that can damage and discolor hair.
3. Use a Deep Conditioner. Chlorine can cause your hair to be dry and brittle. To repair your dry hair add a deep conditioner to your hair care routine to replenish lost moisture. Our go to is the Kevin Murphy HYDRATE-ME.MASQUE. This smoothing treatment delivers hydration and moisture to dry hair, or hair that’s been exposed to harsh, dry climates. HYDRATE-ME.MASQUE’s unique formulation features vitamin-charged, micro-capsules, that explode upon contact to deliver hydration and moisture, leaving the hair deeply conditioned from root to tip.